Friday, February 15, 2013

Our Starry Nights

 
Last week we had the opportunity to do our own interpretations of Starry Nights. We followed the model one teacher did with her students: 
Not surprising, the students' works of art featured in this art teacher's blog are much better than some of our renditions. Nonetheless, we enjoyed the process.
 
 
Before we even got started with the project, two of the girls had a little shaving cream war of their own.
 
 
 
To begin the project, cut a piece of thick white paper as large or as small as you want it. I sprayed some shaving cream on the paper and spread it around with this roller, though you can just use your hand.
 

 Then you put dots of paint on top of the shaving cream. You can use whatever colors you want. I used yellow, red, and a little bit of blue (not pictured here). I was going for a sunset effect.


 
Obviously, the sunset effect did not work out well. The addition of the blue was not what I was going for, as it caused it to turn a light brown color. The yellow and red did not really blend well together to get an orange color, either. Next time, I would probably mix the two together in a container to get orange and then put it on the shaving cream. To get the swirl look, I used a comb and spread it around. I simply made swirls with the comb.

 
 
After you have the background you desire (or you just give up so as not to make it worse, in my case), take a black piece of paper and cut out a skyline. Then you can glue the skyline onto the background. I simply laid mine on the still-wet shaving cream/paint, hoping it would attach itself as it dried.




Here are some other Starry Night backgrounds some of the other students created.
 


 
Carmen took the excess black paper from my skyline I cut out and used it to create the opposite effect on her Starry Night.


 

 


 










No comments:

Post a Comment